LTB 697/19 – OPENREACH Ltd. – Fibre Network Delivery (FND) Career Pathway
Date: 10 December 2019
TO ALL BRANCHES WITH MEMBERS IN OPENREACH LTD.
EMBARGOED UNTIL 8.00 A.M. ON TUESDAY 10 DECEMBER 2019
OPENREACH Ltd. – Fibre Network Delivery (FND) Career Pathway
As the Branches will be aware, the National Team (NT) has been in discussions with the company with regard to a new approach to career pathways in FND. This was brought about as a result of the merger of ID and BCD, each of which had its own pathway.
The attached letter and slides set out the agreement reached. The key elements are:-
- We have now identified and agreed the relevant key skills required for the three main field roles in FND, Jointing, Cabling and Overhead & Poling; splitting these roles further into Complex, Simple or Dual skills. In each of these roles we have introduced options for engineers to build their own pathway based on a mix of the relevant skills.
- Between April and September 2019 – 177 engineers have already moved to Advanced Engineer.
- Based on the new FND Career Pathway that will be in place from 1 December 2019, we expect at least another 139 engineers will move to Advanced Engineer based on the information held; however we will also consider on a case by case basis any other engineers that provide the relevant evidence of training, should any of the data currently held not be up to date.
- The split across skills and the regional OUC’s is also included in the attached presentation.
- The CWU National Team has maintained the principle with regard to the uplift being applied from the first day of the qualifying course and for repayments from day one of the appreciation event. This is confirmed in the attached slides.
- Branches should assist any individuals who believe that they meet the new criteria and have not been approached by their manager in line with the draft timetable below.
- 10 December – Area Managers brief the patch manager on the changes.
- From 10–20 December – Patch Managers to hold 1:1s with the 139 people who have the skills level to progress under the new patch, they will self-certify and then pay changes backdated to 1 December will be put through. These increases will be backdated.
- 11 December – Matt to post on Workplace about the update.
- Comms across FND to advise team members on the changes to the career pathway and confirming this will be covered at their next team meeting/Patch Manager team member events in December/January.
- From 10 December – Engineer Team meetings/Big Bold Plan events will be held.
The NT will continue to monitor the rollout of the new approach and ensure that the introduction of any new products is taken in to account as we move forward. The NT is pleased with the progress that we have made and the fact we now have clear routes to progressions across the three main field functions.
Any enquiries regarding this LTB should be sent to my office in the first instance.