LTB 271/21 – Royal Mail – ‘Dog Attack Compensation Scheme’ and Claim Form
30 June 2021
Our Ref: P18/21
To: All Branches
Royal Mail – ‘Dog Attack Compensation Scheme’ and Claim Form:
As we approach the annual, national RMG/CWU ‘Dog Awareness Week and further to LTB 498/18, it has again come to our attention in the Health, Safety & Environment Department that many Branch Reps and members who are injured in dog attacks and are subsequently off work sick are not aware of, and do not make applications under the Royal Mail Dog Attack Compensation Scheme.
If injured and off work sick as a result of a dog attack, benefits are available to members under the Royal Mail ‘Dog Attack Compensation Scheme’. The scheme pays compensation amounting to the difference between full rate sick pay and an individual’s average weekly earnings over the previous 13 weeks prior to the dog attack incident.
This is paid out regardless of any personal injury litigation compensation which may be recovered by the Union solicitors acting for the member.
A Royal Mail – ‘Dog Attack Compensation Scheme’ claim form is attached which branches can print off and keep available in the branch office for members when needed.
The form can also be located on PSP. If a manager requires a copy of the form they can type in ‘Dog Attack Compensation’ and the form will appear under the searches.
Royal Mail ‘Dog Attack Compensation Scheme’ Conditions are:
- 1 week minimum sick absence must be incurred in order to qualify to submit a claim.
- A maximum of 13 weeks average earnings will be paid out whilst an individual is off work sick following an attack.
- Christmas and summer pressure periods and annual leave periods will be excluded from the average earnings calculation.
- Report all dog attacks to management.
- Following dog attack injuries, suspend deliveries.
- Report all dog attacks to the Security Helpdesk 020 7239 6655 or email: email@example.com.
- Record details of every dog attack on the ‘USO SharePoint site’.
- Record all dog attack injuries on ‘ERICA’.
- Report all dog attacks to the Police and get a ‘Crime Number’.
- Report all dog attacks to the Local Authority Dog Warden or officer responsible for Dog Nuisance and Anti-Social Behaviour issues.
- Update WRAP and Walk Log.
- If the member is injured, complete a CWU LS3 Form and submit it to the Union’s Legal Services Department who will instruct the Union’s lawyers.
- Make an application under the Royal Mail Dog Attack Compensation Scheme (application form attached).
National Health, Safety & Environment Officer