Postmasters in CWU
The Communication Workers Union - The Choice of Postmasters
The time is right to join the CWU and make a change, ensuring a better future for all!
We understand concerns of Postmasters as Post Office Ltd is pushing for greater numbers of the "Locals" model. It is clear that the way Post Offices operate is changing, however, the voice of the Postmaster has not been heard in this regard. By joining the CWU, we can change this and make a difference together.
The new "Local" operating model:
- Is aimed at those size Branches that can least afford to do without the Core Payment.
- Has no enhanced Transaction Payments.
- Requires extended trading hours therefore increasing staffing costs and risk against attack.
- Has only been tested in communities where no PO has existed for some time.
- Requires equipment that becomes the responsibility of the Operator for maintenance.
- Has not been tested or evaluated for success in a conversion of
an existing service.
In addition there has been:
- No testing of the model for sustainability of income for the operator.
- No option to revert from the Local model; therefore closure of the service becomes a real threat.
- No research with customer groups about sharing service at the same till as the retail business.
- No research about the potential for devaluing the PO Brand.
Contract details remain shrouded in secrecy; therefore other potential liabilities around the model remain unknown.
- The new operating model proposed by Post Office Ltd (POL) threatens to downgrade the network.
- Core tier payments are under threat with a move to variable pay, thus putting your business at risk and making it unsustainable. This puts your livelihood at jeopardy.
We want to campaign to save our communities from the
threat of diminishing services from Post Office
We want to campaign to save our communities from the threat of diminishing services from Post Office "Locals".
Without consulting you, the organisation representing Postmasters is supporting the changes above. Clearly this is not in your best interests.
We think your interests are best placed in the CWU. We have industrial influence across POL and Royal Mail and our aim is to seek a more equitable and commonsense approach towards the proposals for restructuring the Network.
We want you to join the CWU now so we can tackle these issues together and build a sustainable future for you and your business.
The CWU: What we can do for you
The CWU: What we can do for you
- We are part of the Post Bank Coalition (which includes Federation of Small Businesses, Nef, Unite, National Pensioners' Convention and Countryside Alliance); whose sole aim is to influence Government to increase revenue at Post Offices - the NFSP refused to part of this coalition.
- We understand your issues and concerns with regard to the changes in the Post Office Network.
- We are a campaigning organisation, with a proven track record in influencing Government.
- We have industrial strength with a long standing presence across the entire Royal Mail group including POL.
- We provide:
o Representation at disciplinaries or grievances
o Information on health and safety at work
o Free legal advice - personal injury compensation claims and employment tribunal applications and special discounted rates on personal legal matters e.g. conveyancing etc.
o Support in dealing with any proposed contract changes
o Free will-writing service and discounted motor, home and travel insurance.
o Free death benefit scheme
All this for just £8.13 p.m - less than half the cost of your full NFSP membership (£ 16.37 p.m)
The CWU is a democratic union, with elected leaders, which has created its own Postmaster/Mistress and agents national branch. The Postmasters will have a big voice within the CWU - they will have their own autonomy.
With over 200,000 members across the country in postal, logistics and communications industries including Crown Post Office workers, the CWU has strength in numbers and is a union that stands up to POL and the Government.
Join us and help us realise a strong future for our members!
CWU submission to BIS: Building a mutual Post Office,16th
The CWU - the choice for Postmasters!
Contact us with your views: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 971 7484.