Employee rights, stop employment wrongs
The Coalition Government has been quietly chipping away at the hard won rights of workers since coming into power. The TUC, supported by the CWU and other British trade unions, has launched a campaign against these changes and to make people aware of what they might lose. Visit their website to find out more, get involved and support the campaign.
To give you an idea, the government plans to:
- Abolish unfair dismissal protection - making it easier for employers to hire and fire at will.
- Make substantial changes to employment tribunals, including the
introduction of fees and a qualifying period of employment. Read
more on changes to employment
- Make substantial changes to the law on industrial action, including introducing a minimum voting threshold.
- Move Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) from employer administered to state-administered
- Reduce the period of statutory maternity leave
- Reduce consultation periods for collective redundancy.
- Abolish the statutory union recognition scheme.
The list goes on.
In the face of these changes that threaten to turn the clocks back on basic employment rights and pave the way for workplace exploitation and injustices, the campaign calls for fair work rights for everyone.
To support the campaign all that we are asking is that you:
- Sign the petition with the option of adding a personal message of support
- Spread the word by sharing the message and poster online, in your workplace and amongst your family and friends.
A range of campaign resources and information is available on the dedicated website: Employee rights stop employment wrongs.
In case you needed any more reason to support trade unions and
their representatives have a read of
Facility time saves taxpayers money AND stops strikes, says new
report by Tim Lezard for
Union News, 5th July 2012