What Are the Benefits of a Learning Centre?
There are many benefits in having a Learning Centre - some of these are listed below:
- It provides a calm and supportive environment dedicated to learning, where learners can study in peace, without distractions.
- It provides a secure place to keep valuable learning materials, such as CD ROMs, books, videos, equipment and educational software.
- It acts as a focal point where support can be provided by a ULR, trainer or administrator, and where learners need not feel isolated.
- Training outcomes and learner feedback can be more easily monitored.
- Computer hardware is more likely to be standard, with training software ('courseware') pre-loaded. Elsewhere in an organisation PCs may vary in specification and condition, and staff may not have the necessary skills to install 'courseware'.
It should be noted that Learning Centres might not be the best option in organisations where learners are geographically widely spread or isolated, as it may not be practical to expect them to travel to a central Learning Centre. It may also be too expensive and unsustainable to install a Learning Centre in a number of remote sites. In these circumstances, other solutions, such as loaning out technology based learning or using laptops to create a mobile learning experience may be an appropriate option.