International Development Fund
Solidarity through Practical Support
The International Development was set up by CWU Annual Conference in 2008 to provide practical support for our fellow trade unionists in countries where trade union freedoms are severely restricted and union activists like us can face harassment, imprisonment, and in extreme cases death. Their only crime is organising and educating workers about their rights
Colombia - The most dangerous place in the world to be a trade unionist
- Over 60% of all trade unionists killed in the world are Colombian
- 166 Colombian trade unionists have been murdered since 2007
- Hundreds of trade unionists imprisoned without trial and access to basic human rights
The CWU has provided practical support and solidarity visits to Colombian trade unionists and their families, which not only supports them in tackling the horrendous situation there but also raises the profile of the abuses of their trade union and human rights internationally which helps to put pressure on their government.
The Philippines - Organising against poverty and oppression
o In 2009 alone three trade union officials were shot and killed by unknown assassins and one died after being interrogated by state security forces; three other union members were abducted; one former trade union leader was arrested and charged with murder. Army personnel also harassed and intimated striking workers.
- The Philippines state has enshrined laws which make trade union organisation almost impossible and potentially dangerous.
- Under Philippines law contract or casual workers cannot join a union
- In contravention of International Labour conventions it is virtually illegal to strike in the Philippines
The CWU has worked with our sister Union in the Philippines the MKP to provide solidarity visits and assistance with helping them to organise against the systematic and brutal union busting that is widespread in the Philippines.
More information on trade union violations around the world can
be accessed by visiting the ITUC Annual
Survey of Trade Union Violations
Click here if you or your Branch would like to donate to the CWU International Development Fund.
Click here to view this shocking short film on International trade union violations Link to ITUC video on trade union violations.